Daily review: little agreement at NATO-Russia talks; 80 Ukrainian soldiers perished in 2021; Day of Political Prisoner
Past 24 hours in the war zone
- Ukraine’s JFO command reported one attack by Russian-hybrid forces on Ukrainian positions in the Donbas region, namely near Novotoshkivske, one Ukrainian soldier was killed.
- As of 19:30 Jan 10, OSCE’s Special Monitoring Mission recorded 133 violations, including 7 explosions in Donetsk Oblast; 5 violations, including 2 explosions in Luhansk Oblast.
- Moscow has prepared a plan for the internal destabilization of Ukraine, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Victoria Nuland said at a briefing on 11 January. According to her, the US and its European allies are preparing ‘very painful’ sanctions against Russia in case it launches its further military escalation in Ukraine.
- Russia launched large-scale live-fire drills next to Ukraine’s border. The exercises involve tanks and IFVs, and take place in Voronezh, Belgorod, Bryansk, Smolensk oblasts. The United States expects explanations from Russia regarding the drills.
- Ukraine’s partners are coordinating on a united stance against Russian provocations, assured Canadian PM Justin Trudeau.
NATO-Russia talks in Brussels
On 12 January 2022, NATO headquarters in Brussels hosted security talks over Ukraine between envoys of Russia and NATO member countries. The only confirmed result of the negotiations seems to be the agreed point that the sides should meet again in the future. The meeting took place amid tensions over Moscow’s military build-up near Ukrainian borders, still ongoing since mid-fall 2021.