Past 24 hours in the war zone
- Russian-hybrid forces launched four attacks on Ukrainian positions in Donetsk, Luhansk, Mariupol sectors, including heavy artillery and weapons banned by the Minsk accords, according to Ukraine’s Joint Forces Operation Staff.
- As of 19:30 January 4, OSCE’s Special Monitoring Group recorded 54 violations in Donetsk Oblast and three violations in Luhansk Oblast.
- Due to Russia’s blockade of the transit route, Kazakstan has not delivered contracted coal supplies to Ukraine, announces Ukrainian Minister of Energy Herman Halushchenko.
- The EU and NATO must pay attention to different scenarios of a Russian invasion, says Latvian Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkēvičs in an interview.
- Due to the build-up of Russian troops near Ukraine’s borders, NATO is going to hold an urgent meeting on 7 January 2022.
- The EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell will submit proposals to the EU to launch the EU military advisory and training mission in Ukraine.
- Today, the Orthodox Church of Ukraine is celebrating its third anniversary of autocephaly – or independence. Three years ago on this day, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew had granted the so-called tomos of autocephaly to the newly established church, thus making it effectively independent of Russia.